Saturday, November 12, 2011

That time of year again



I can't believe I'm making our Christmas cake again. Here it is, all ready to go into the oven. It's no secret that I'm lazy and would happily buy one of the cakes put out by the Lions charity but our grandson is allergic to nuts and so I like to know exactly what goes into anything that he is going to eat - and he loves this cake. The beating and blending is better than a work-out at the gym, now I need a sit down and a cup of tea.
One of my favourite plants is in flower again. It's an annual that self-sows every year. I have no idea where it came from originally and no idea what it is. Can anyone out there tell me? The flower is about the size of a delphinium, and I thought that was what it is but the leaf is different. Here is where someone tells me that it is highly illegal and I'd better pull it out before I am visited by the drug squad. I hope not because I like it and it will go on flowering for the whole Summer. And before anyone asks, yes, I am still crocheting & knitting - slower these days because of this wretched thumb but I'm getting there.
Timer for the cake has just gone off so I'd better go and turn the oven down for another hour-and-a-half.
Bye for now, until next time.

3 comments:

  1. Oh you have put me to shame :(( I have not even made a pud as yet..
    you have done well, and I reckon your cake will taste devine :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to be a something from the "Mallow" family ... here in Canada I'd have guessed they were "Hollyhocks" but in your part of the world, I'd guess some sort of hibiscus.

    Pretty! And I don't think you need worry about the drug squads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pat, It's just an ordinary Dundee cake but it tastes marvellous when it has had time to mature.

    Minding my Own. Mallow! I didn't think of that. It's certainly similar.

    ReplyDelete