Friday, April 13, 2012

Shared bounty.



One of my favourite trees in our garden is the fig tree which produces masses of lovely big juicy figs every year. As it is with most home-grown food, we are able to share the fruit among friends as well as put by enough to last us for about half the year. Well actually I am the one for whom they're being put by; the man of the house dislikes figs and has been known to make derogatory remarks about them. This means, of course, that the load that is half filling our freezer is mine, all mine. (cue maniacal laughter) I must be quick when picking the fruit however as the birds enjoy them too and the picture shows what I find if I'm tardy. Birds need to eat too and so I'm happy to share because I enjoy the birds in my garden.
For me netting is out as I once found a little deceased blackbird entangled in the netting. I love the song of the blackbirds and I was upset for days afterwards. I removed the netting and have never netted the tree since. There is plenty of fruit for me and my friends to share, including the feathered variety.
I hope the coming weekend will be a good one for you. Bye for now until next time.

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried figs!! I am with you on the sharing part, our wildlife need to eat too. Just means the fruit is yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figs are not to everyone's taste Maria but I'm glad I like them. They also have calcium in them which is useful.

      Delete
  2. Oh I love figs... Can't get enough of them.. Well done :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Pat. Such a useful fruit for both savoury and sweet recipes but I just enjoy them fresh from the tree,

      Delete