Thursday, April 8, 2010

My noisy visitors.


If you live in Melbourne you've probably seen recent reports of these rowdy little birds. They are long-billed corellas and have been calling in on us every evening for months now. There are usually a couple hanging about during the day as well. The din as they chatter to each other is really something. I don't know why there has been so many this year, though I have no doubt that the loss of their natural habitat has a lot to do with it. I suspect that this is probably due to the effects of drought in the west of Victoria which, according to my bird book, is where they usually hang out.
These beautiful paddocks are due to be turned into a housing estate in the next year or so and the birds will have to move on again. It would be nice if we could all live in harmony, but unfortunately human beings don't do that very well.
I love to watch the birds. They are real performers, hanging upside down from lamp posts and swinging by one leg from the branches of the trees in our yard. I will miss them.
The horse isn't mine by the way. He doesn't seem to mind sharing his paddock at all.
I'm supposed to be doing some serious work on the woodworkers newsletter so I'd better get at it. Bye for now, until next time.

2 comments:

  1. I love to watch the birds too! We had a red-headed woodpecker in the yard yesterday. Our birds are just getting their nests organized now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thats sad you will not see them there in time because of re development of housing. I hope the birds drop a few on the people who are making you leave your home ha ha xx

    ReplyDelete