Friday, January 1, 2010



Hands up all those who wear a pinny - an apron - you know, those things that your Grandma wears. Aprons play a big part in my life. If there's anything messy being done it's as sure as can be that I will come off second best. I'm lost without my pinny. I wear a white one when knitting to keep my work clean. (I've read that Sasha Kagan insists that her knitters wear a white apron.) I have a waterproof one to protect my clothes when spinning (some fleeces can be pretty grotty) and potting plants. My woodworking pinny is dark green and liberally stained with sawdust and glue and I use a clean pinny when I'm cooking to protect the food from my clothes. I know that sounds daft but when I was fourteen I worked in a bakery and that's what my pinny was for - and I absolutely had to remove it before I went to the toilet. I think that was something to do with health regulations.
Mum used to put a pinny on me for school when I was little because I usually managed to come home covered in red chalk and as all the washing was done by hand (can you imagine that) my dress had to last more than one wear.
Anyway, before Christmas I made a pinny for a special friend and now that she has her pressie and it's no longer a secret, I can show it to you. I don't usually embroidered my pinnies and it's years since I did any embroidery but my friend is a dog lover and so I thought I'd put a doggie on it for her.
Am I turning into my Nana who used to sit for hours with her embroidery? Next to table-cloths, pinnies were her specialty and much fancier than this one. I don't think I have the patience but thanks Nana for the memory.
Gotta go now, it's well after lunchtime and I'm hungry. Bye for now until next time.

13 comments:

  1. I love this post but I am afraid that I never wear aprons. I figure that I may as well wash my clothes as an apron. I do wear work clothes for farming though. Life with 3 kids on a farm seems like I am always filthy so I don't really wear clothes that I need to keep clean anyway. Love the little dog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be of the same generation. My mother always wore a "cobblers apron" It had pockets across the front. I wore pinafores to keep my dress clean for the same reason. I had some fancy ones for Sunday School. Of all the old pictures in albums I can't find one with me wearing a pinny. Probably because my mother made me take it off. I wear an apron when I cook too.
    Thanks for the comments on the blog. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I confess I have some old clothes that I reserve for yardwork too.

    Susan, Nice to meet you too. Yes I think we must share a generation. Funny how customs change isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Grandma always wore one. I have a family video of her laughing in the kitchen at Christmas dinner, sitting down and saying "Is, this thing still on me!? I'm going to be buried in this apron, I swear!". I love that video and that image of her. She was an amazing cook and baker. I don't have a pinny like that, I made my first apron a couple months ago, but it's more of a wrap. I pinny would be more useful for the really messy stuff! It looks great and love the embroidery. Your friend must have loved the gift! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No need for an apron here! DH does all the cooking. And when I garden, I just wear the old clothes and wash'em after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meagan I have happy memories like that too but sadly no video.

    Not ready - I save old clothes for gardening too but like a waterproof pinny for potting as it's a muddy job (for me anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a few aprons and only realise what a dummy I am for not wearing them when I mess up my clean clothes which is practically ALL the time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading about all the different reasons for wearing a pinny... they all make such sense! It looks like there has been no loss of your skills with your embroidery break... the dog is very cute and what a sweet thing to do for your friend. So very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melanie it's the stains that are the problem. Do you know a squashed snail just won't wash out.

    Nikki, my friend loved it but said she was afraid to wear as the dog would get dirty. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sis, I think mum wore a pinny every day of her life, didn't she.
    Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Thel, Yes she did I suppose that's where I got the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is just so cute, I bet she will never wear it so it wont get dirty lol. Hopefully soon, she may cook her man his fave meal in it. I just love it, and I hope your friend does as well

    ReplyDelete