Monday, January 18, 2010

Where is my proof reader?

Oh deary, deary, me. I've at last finished the Woodworker's Newsletter for the month of January. As I'm only moderately computer savvy, this usually takes my about a week of pushing text around, altering it to fit, resizing photos etc. I'm sure there are easier ways of doing these things but I haven't learned them. Never mind, I don't mind puddling around until I get it done. Then comes the proof reading and no matter how many times I check it (I don't know how Santa gets away with only checking twice) I always miss something. This time it was a couple of glaring mistakes - well, actually words left out and one miss-spell that could have hilarious implications. And I didn't find them until the newsletter was all printed up and sent out.
One thing I can be sure of, I won't be knocked down in the rush by those who want to take my place to do a better job, so I'll just enjoy a giggle at the thought of a rocking horse barbeque (that was one of the mistakes) and see what kind of howlers I will produce next month.
Lovely rain and cooler weather. Hope your day is a good one. Bye for now until next time.

7 comments:

  1. It's almost impossible to proofread your own work. One thing you might want to try is to read it aloud to your DH - I find that a good way to hear my mistakes even when I can't see them.

    But you're right; no matter how many oops, they're lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, reading aloud definitely helps. otherwise at least 3 focused read throughs... but no big deal anyway. nothing's perfect. xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a house full of achademics and was always lucky enough to have choices over who would proof read my essays and articles. Even now I am constantly getting emails telling me about a typo or a misplaced comma in my blog. But I reckon the top comment is right and that they are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not ready - Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

    Meagan - perfection might be a bit boring anyway.

    Kate - Crumbs! A misplaced comma ooer that's a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous woodwork & good luck with the newsletter. I do lots of volunteer work & the "sure, if you think you can do a better job, you take over" is always tempting to say. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't be good at everything and you certainly can't make everyone else happy all the time! As long as you are happy and having a laugh, that is the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to meet you Posie. Fortunately I don't get many complaints but I do get frustrated with myself.

    Laurel- a sense of humour certainly helps.

    ReplyDelete