Thursday, December 9, 2010

Just as we'd hoped.


What a day it was. We'd been dodging rain drops all week but our Gala Day turned out fine and not too hot. I really got my 10 thousand steps in, helping to carry and set up the toys for this display. We handed them all over and got the chance to thank so many folk who help us out through the year. Those who donate paint and timber and, of course our wonderful patchworkers. As she does every year, Joe's lovely wife made 20 pretty quilts too, especially for the prams.
The picture here is only some of the toys that went to local welfare groups, there were 605 in all, but it gives you an idea of the kind of thing we do. In receiving the toys for her organization, one of the recipients said, "Every year I think the need can't get any worse, and every year it does." That's a sobering thought in this land of plenty, I think. Then there was the little boy of about 3 years, whose Dad's ticket won a toy in our fund raising effort. The little one's round-eyed "Ooh" as he accepted his toy made our day. We don't often get a chance to see a toy in the hands of a child. That was a real treat.
Planning begins now for the list of toys we will make next year. One of the blokes, who will be on holiday for a good part of next year has started on his toys already. It's addictive. We can't help ourselves and it keeps our little grey cells ticking over very nicely.
Anyway, a rattly feeling around my rib cage reminds me that I haven't had lunch and in my part of the world it's nearly 2.00 pm, so I'd better be off.
Bye for now, until next time.
PS if you want to get a closer look at the toys you can click on the picture to enlarge it.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness....... How amazing, there are going to be some very happy boys and girls out there.. Well done and thankyou :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I'm involved in a community choir that also does charity work. This year, we did a toy drive and also a children's choir for children in protective services. Our concert is next week - I can't wait to see the joyful faces on those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my what a HUGE, fantastic effort. Thanks as it reminds me there that the Christmas spirit still is strong

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. We really had a great day and working on the toys all year is good fun too.

    Pattas, It's that thought that makes us enjoy our work.

    Laurie I'd love to see that concert, or at least some pics.


    Maria, We tend to celebrate the wrong things sometimes, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW, I enlarged the picture and it took my breath away. Im sitting here typing now, with tears, It made me cry as its all so beautiful! I take my hat off to all of you wonderful people. Oh the children must love you all, I certainly do for being so kind and caring.I have never seen such beautiful wooden toys. I got some many years ago from the beechworth wood shop from my parents and they just last and last. Now Im sad I lost my wooden pram over the years. To think of the effort thats gone into them all, Im ashamed I lost mine now. They are all beautiful, Do the children come and pick their own?, How does it work when handing them out? That has made my day, well done woodies and everyone involved, Im so proud of you all! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I just called my man over and enlarged the picture for him to see. I asked him if he knew where they may have come from? he guessed it and answered , the woodies people. I told him I got tears looking at them, his answer was to that," Gee I wonder if they got any splinters making them "lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donz. The very first day I started there 6 years ago I got a whopping splinter but surprisingly none since.
    The way the gifts are given is that each organisation sets a selection of them out on display in their premises and the parents go and select a gift. That way it's like shopping for a present.

    ReplyDelete