Sunday, April 24, 2011

Reminiscing


On this day in 1914 a tiny baby girl was born. Four weeks premature, weighing only 4 lbs, seriously entangled in her umbilical cord she was discoloured from lack of oxygen and apparently lifeless. The midwife shook her head sadly, placed the tiny scrap at the foot of the bed and returned to attending to the mother.
The story would have ended there but from the corner of her eye the midwife caught the slightest movement from the baby and dropping everything she reached for a large ewer of water that sat on the washstand near the bed.
April mornings in country Victoria can be very cold and the water in the ewer was icey. Using this water as a shower-bath over a naked body would make anyone gasp for breath and that's just what the little baby did as the midwife emptied the ewer over her. Seconds later the bedroom was filled with the sound of a newborn baby yelling her protest. And so her life began. The tenacity she showed in clinging to that mere spark of life stayed with her for the rest of her days, defeating influenza during the pandemic, surviving diptheria, mending our shoes with leather, tacks and hammer, while Dad was away at war, and coping with anything else that came her way, including caring for my father for the last 17 years of his life after he was disabled by a stroke .
Yes today is my mother's birthday and although she has been gone from us for almost 14 years now, the 27th of April will always bring her close to me.
This photo was taken in early 1930's, around the time my father fell in love with Mum. He once told me that he was captivated by her lively personality and her ability to do anything with the incomplete left hand that was the result of the pre-birth damage that so nearly cost her her life. They had 59 years together.
Mum made all her own clothes so I'm guessing that she made this dress. I know it was two shades of pale green. I love the hat and the pretty shoes. As I've said before, Mum was a hard act to follow but I'm so glad she was my Mum.
Gotta go now. I hope you're enjoying this glorious day wherever you are.
Bye for now until next time.

13 comments:

  1. I had not visited since the 16th April post and just enjoyed catching up so much! I love your wood doll! I really enjoyed the photo and reminisce of your mum! What a beautiful story!! I love the doilies, I have many that my Mom made and she loved the Pineapple pattern, too. I never new about the wood piece for the shawl, how interesting! Hugs and luv, Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to and happy memories of your mother. What an amazing life she had!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Kerrie. I have been enjoying your blogs too.

    Cheers Laurie. I like to collect happy memories. Theyre something nice to have when other things aren't so pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story you have for your Mum and to share for many, many years to come

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Maria. Its a scary thought that I wouldn't have been here if it had not been for that tiny movement that cought the midwife's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ......Or my brothers and sisters either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sis, I want a copy of that story to put in my book. I know the story well and have told it many times. Isn't it great what the corner of one's eye can pick up. Like the time Harvey bolted out onto the road for some reason and that tiny space at the corner of her eye saw him go with Mum bolting after him to bring him back, giving no thought to the traffic, just that her - then 2yo - son was out there. Thank God that the traffic back then wasn't like it is today, or that story might have finished differently also. Oh and you didn't mention in your story that this is the lady that your blog name came from. Although I know you have mentioned it in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello to you Sis. I'm glad you enjoyed our story. Yes, "I've only got one pair of hands." was one of our busy Mum's sayings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a lot we have to be thankful for, not least Mums peripheral vision, luckily I don't remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankyou for sharing this lovely story, You write so beautifully..
    You are also a winner on my blog :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon, They say mothers have eyes in the back of their head, don't they? Lol.

    Pat, I didn't know I was entered in your competition and I'm thrilled to have won a prize. Thank you so much, and for your nice comment too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely story Elsie, she must have determination running through her little body*!*

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a gorgeous photo. Your Mum looks beautiful and sounds talented and strong. You are a beautiful story-teller. xo m.

    ReplyDelete