Saturday, April 2, 2011

Smiley faces


Yesterday the Woodworkers Workshop was open as part of the Arts Festival that is being held in our town. A group of us gathered to arrange a display and do some woodwork so that the public can see what we get up to each week. I spent part of the day playing with my pyrography burner and putting a few finishing touches to some little people I've been working on. The fat little body with no arms or legs will eventually have those plus some hair (probably mohair knitting yarn) which I will glue on. I'll put some hair on the other two dolls as well. I thought the knitting Nancies should have faces too.
I've gotta tell you that this is a painstaking craft and I'm not sure that there is a future in it for me. I'd have had those faces done in half the time if I had been using a paint brush and paint but there is something about the pyrography that has a special appeal. I did start on a plate but that's not finished yet.
It was a super day weatherwise. Autumn is my favourite season.
I hope you're having a lovely Sunday. Bye for now until next time.

6 comments:

  1. You are very talented lady :)) the dolls look cute now so you must show us what they look like with hair LOL
    Enjoy your Sunday :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. These dolls look great. the effect is wonderful, if painstaking!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I hope you will play along with my little challenge,
    hugs Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  3. The faces look cute. I used to love the Knitting Nancy I made when only very young, lots of use :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Pat. I'm keen to see how they will look when finished and dressed too.

    Laurel your dream board is a great idea. I'd like to give it a try.

    I like my knitting Nancy too - loved to change the wool colours to see them come through. It always seemed to take ages. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cute little faces! I tried pyrography once...definitely not for me. LOL! I need to stick to knitting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie I don't think I'll make a career of pyrography either. Lol. I find knitting far more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete